This is first of the
four five articles we plan on SEO. In this one, we give tips for making your blog popular without resorting to undesirable SEO practices. The next one will be on what Google advises regarding blog reputation and popularity. The third and fourth articles will expand on some of the best practices and the last post will simplify technical tweaks for those who dread terms like html, meta-data and alt-text.
Before starting the first post, let us take you to an earlier post. It gives a fair idea about what we mean by blog popularity.
Simple tips for optimising your blog for search enginesWe present below tips that you often read on the web about how to give your blog a high placement on search engines. We've given our views - in italics - after each tip.
- Give the blog a nice, specific name. Give it a good description.
- Have the blog on your own platform, not Wordpress or Blogger.
- Blog frequently.
- Comment on others’ blogs.
- Write articles for e-zines and give your blog address there.
- Write for blogs and websites that give a weekly or monthly challenge – and publish them on your blog.
- Tell your friends and relatives about your blog.
- Email and use other methods of informing people that you wrote a new post.
- Ping your posts to pinging services.
- Be present on social sites such as Facebook and Twitter and announce your blog and updates there.
- Conclude the post by posing a question. Don’t write a full post but leave something for imagination.
- Give sub-headings; have images and give them good attributes; put many keywords in the top portion of a post...
- Provide many links to your own other posts and pages. Go for 'nofollow' for external links.
- Use good 'anchor' text while giving a link.
- Put lots of social media links on the blog.
- Submit your blog to blog directories.
- Submit your posts to social bookmarking sites such as StumbleUpon.
- Join forums on the subject of your blog.
- Have your blog on a blogging community.
- Use link-farms – sites that get you links and visitors if you visit them and promote other blogs.
- Place advertisements on sites guaranteeing promotion.
- Have a poll. Give away ebooks. Have pop-ups that suggest people to follow you.
- Give tips, and title them in numbers and hyperboles such as '5 apps that make you rich overnight'.
- Use SEO. Put proper keywords in posts and title, place meta tags, give links, etc.
- Engage an SEO expert if you want to succeed as a blogger.
- Have quality content; keep the visitor uppermost in your mind.
Blog content: quality of writing matters a lot
How to write dazzling blog posts