Popular SEO tips and tricks on the web: how good are they?
Updated: November 2020
In this post, I analyze SEO tips that we often read on the web. I have colored good advice in green, bad in red and so-so in orange. After each tip, I've given my views in italics.
- Give the blog a nice, specific name. Give it a good description.
Sure. Relevant and memorable name along with a description that amplifies its identity are good SEO practices.
- Have the blog on your own platform, not Wordpress or Blogger.
- Blog frequently.
- Comment on others’ blogs.
- Write articles for e-zines and give your blog address there.
- Write for blogs and websites that give a weekly or monthly challenge – and publish them on your blog.
- Tell your friends and relatives about your blog.
- Email and use other methods of informing people that you wrote a new post.
- Ping your posts to pinging services.
- Be present on social sites such as Facebook and Twitter and announce your blog and updates there.
- Conclude the post by posing a question. Don’t write a full post but leave something for the imagination.
- Give sub-headings; have images and give them good attributes; put many keywords in the top portion of a post...
- Provide many links to your own other posts and pages. Go for 'nofollow' for external links.
- Use good 'anchor' text while giving a link.
- Put lots of social media links on the blog.
- Submit your blog to blog directories.
- Submit your posts to social bookmarking sites such as StumbleUpon.
- Join forums on the subject of your blog.
- Have your blog on a blogging community.
- Use link-farms – sites that get you links and visitors if you visit them and promote other blogs. It is a fast way to get backlinks and drive traffic.
- Place advertisements on sites guaranteeing promotion.
- Have a poll. Give away ebooks. Have pop-ups that suggest people to follow you.
- Give tips, and title them in numbers and hyperboles such as '5 apps that make you rich overnight'.
- You cannot succeed without using SEO a lot.
- Engage an SEO expert if you want to succeed as a blogger.
- Have quality content; keep the visitor uppermost in your mind.